Re: [OCLUG-Tech] scanner detection/identification problem

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] scanner detection/identification problem
  • From: Prof J C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 09:59:05 -0400
Thanks for all the suggestions. Problem turned out to be that Samsung forgot to put a library file in the package! Sigh. Thanks for help from Dmitrey and Natasha K. who helped sleuth this one on site and discovered a couple of broken links. Solution was to find the file and copy it. See below what I sent to Ubuntu forums.

For information, the device seems to do a good job of both printing and scanning, and is fairly compact. Has a fax function I've not tested, and also works as a copier (clean copies too). Toner cartridges not cheap (~$100), but not as expensive as those for my HP 2200D, though for the latter I'm only on cartridge 2 in 5 years. If the Samsung is anywhere near as miserly, the running costs won't be too bad.

To Ubuntu Forum:
Now have print and scan running (have not tested fax, but very unlikely to use it; copy works).

Solution was to uninstall SamsungUnifiedDriver (2.0.93 - 20070324101840703_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz) and re-install it. I also had tried a lot of the suggestions above and in links thereto and had to reset these e.g., the smfp line in dll.conf, and the root operation of xsane. None of these appear to be needed with new driver.

However, the libsane-smfp library file IS missing. I've sent a msg to Samsung, but will not hold my breath. Fortunately in some other Samsung files from related devices, notably 20070129124018750_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz, the cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/sane/libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 file (158Kb) can simply be copied to /usr/lib/sane/

With that, my scx-4521 is printing AND scanning.

Now if only Samsung would fix the Flash Crash mess on their website. (I got round this by using Konqueror that did NOT have Flash installed -- pages don't look quite right, but at least I can see them.)

JN