Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Anybody used DB2 for Linux? AccPac for Linux?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Anybody used DB2 for Linux? AccPac for Linux?
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:42:44 -0400
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 03:42:09PM -0400, Putrycz, Erik wrote:

> In the DB world, MySQL and PostGres are still behind the major
> vendors in terms of functionality. MySQL is slowly catching up but
> things like stored procedures are very new.

We run both Oracle and Postgres here.  I've found Postgres to have
almost caught up to Oracle in many areas, and surpassed it in a few.
We've used stored procedures in Postgres since 2000 without issues.

> And no matter what DB you have, if this app is transactional (I
> guess quite likely) then setting up backup plans and even installing
> the storage is not straightforward (eg. setting up the transaction
> log and db store and enabling incremental backups for instance).

Surely we're not talking about basic database concurrency control here
(begin, rollback/commit), right?  I know Oracle has rollback segments
to allocate, but that's about it, and everything works fine by default
in Postgres.  I wasn't aware other databases actually needed effort to
get these working.