Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Anybody used DB2 for Linux? AccPac for Linux?

Putrycz, Erik wrote:
> In my little experience:
> - Oracle is a hell of configuration... but you can make it do exactly
> what you want... I believe it is the most powerful DB (clustering, SQL
> options, etc.)
> - DB2 has more self-tuning built-in I believe and could make it easier
> to manage.
> But each of these DBs is a whole universe. If you are going to support
> that system, I would go for the DB I'm the most familiar with. Nothing
> is straightforward with a DB when things start to get complex... Setting
> up a backup plan, performance tuning, etc... Each of these tasks
> requires a good knowledge.
>
> IBM and Oracle have a strong Linux support, I wouldn't expect many
> issues with them, but you may want to go for an official supported Linux
> distribution (SLES or RHES). All their testing seems to be done on these
> platforms.

I very much appreciate the responses (both on and off-line)!

This client is a small private operation with very minimal requirements
other than stability and reliability.

To be frank, I do not want to have to enter a new dimension/universe, I
just want this particular application to run reliably!  I do not intend
to use the Sage AccPac backend RDB for anything other than this application.

Pervasive just got back to me - $845USD for a six user license on Linux
for a flat file btrieve database that has an SQL frontend.  They will
also sell me PostgreSQL support, but they have not made their P-SQL
API's work on PostgreSQL, so there is no Sage AccPac option.

Any other DB requirements for this client will be handled in either
PostgreSQL or MySQL.  If I had my druthers, Sage AccPac would support
one of the two former databases, as my familiarity lies therein.

I wish that vendors like Sage would understand that adding support for
open source database products would dramatically increase appeal for
their offerings as well as cost less.  For the real-world smb operator,
a full fledged enterprise class commercial database is pointless overkill.

Please ... keep the feedback coming!  This is helping a lot.  If I
decide to proceed with this I'll document the process for posterity and
the benefit of others.

--
Bill Strosberg