-----Original Message-----
From: linux-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
[mailto:linux-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca] On Behalf Of Bill Strosberg
Sent: July 13, 2006 13:12
To: linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Anybody used DB2 for Linux? AccPac for Linux?

All:

I've got a client running Sage AccPac, and they've become very tired of
running it single user on Windows.  Bog slow, unstable ... you know, the
same old story.  They are sneakernetting a laptop running XP right now.
This laptop is never connected (thank your preferred deity) to anything
other than a printer.  Their current Windows version of AccPac came
bundled with IBM DB2 as the embedded back end data engine.

This client is using various open source solutions I've provided and
have complete confidence in moving their accounting to Linux.

I'm investigating moving the install from Windows to Linux, and upon
doing so, the database backend comes into play as an unbundled product.
I have the Sage-supported (Linux) choices of:

Pervasive SQL
Oracle 10g
IBM DB2 Express

Licensing costs appear to be reasonable, ranging from a low of $100/user
(Oracle) to $867 (server) + $172/user (IBM DB2).  I have no prejudged
preferences from one to the other technically - it's just one more
database to maintain.  Annual service fees are normal (@20% / year) for
everything.  Given the situation, money/pricing isn't a major
consideration.  Stability and maintainability are paramount.

This is a low transaction volume operation, with only an accountant and
a couple management types using the software.  One concurrent user is
about it, and I would expect hands-on usage to amount to  a few hours a
week.

Client access is done via an AccPac client application installed on the
user's workstaions - either Linux or Windows.  Sage doesn't charge for
clients, and their only issue is the server and the number of concurrent
users that access it. I expect no difficulty allowing client access
tunneled through VPN across their internal intranet to the accounting
server.

Any thoughts?
Preferences on database backend?
Experiences with Sage AccPac on Linux?
Experience working with commercially produced binary executables?

I would prefer to compile and optimize this myself, but this may not be
an option with a commercial product.  I wish Sage supported PostgreSQL
or MySQL. :(

Note:  I've seen the Nitix implementation of Linux/AccPac/DB2 (LAD?)
aimed at expertise-free accountancy installs and I'm very scared by a
single commercial vendor supported one-off Linux distribution.  Although
I do not object to the Nitix concept, I would never consider using Nitix
in a commercial setting.  Too much potential for long term trouble by a
small sized single vendor operation with no real significant community
support.  I find comfort in being part of a large community, hence my
preference for Debian on production servers.

Sage has blessed RedHat and Novell/Suse as supported Linux
distributions, but as Brad so eloquently stated this week, I have no
interest in getting THAT mess on my hands.  Years ago I used RedHat and
I have no interest in trying it again ... too many scars.

I'm just on the front end of this investigation and there is no time
sensitivity from my perspective.

--
Bill Strosberg