Re: [OCLUG-Tech] sending mail (rogers & sendmail)

From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca>
To: ed stuckems <edstuckems [ at ] hotmail [ dot ] com>
CC: linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] sending mail (rogers & sendmail)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 23:53:33 -0400

On 01/07/06 ed stuckems said:

> I got a hold of the oreilly sendmail book and read through it, I've read
> over the sendmail readme that describes the various mc macros/options but > I'm still not sure how to get sendmail to send mail! While I think I have

Not surprising. You might consider using an MTA that has less security
problems, and is friendlier to configure. I prefer postfix myself.

you're not the first person to suggest postfix. While I appreciate the advice (I know it sounds too cliche) but I think my problem is not with sendmail itself but with the operational details of sending mail - my problems are not with the details of configuring sendmail; not yet at least. Put another way, I think I'd have the same questions/problems with postfix.

Maybe I should read through the smtp rfc. I generally avoid reading the RFCs until I have a working prototype; it makes the dry text of the rfc easier to grok.

Security problems aside (sounds stupid, I know but ...) I've invested some funds and time reading though texts on sendmail and I'm not yet ready to abandon it and start from square one.

So, with all due respect to someone who's advice has served me well in the past, I'll take another kick at the sendmail can before packing it in.

Thanks Mike.

regards,
Ed.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier [ at ] digitaltorque [ dot ] ca>
direction." --Albert Einstein

<< attach3 >>

Watch music videos on Sympatico / MSN Video! http://video.msn.com/v/en-ca/v.htm?t=c317&f=38/81&p=ENCAmusic_ENCAvideos