Re: [OCLUG-Tech] sending mail

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 01:39:26PM +0000, ed stuckems wrote:

> (1) can 'mail' send e-mail to external sites or does it rely on
>     something else? sendmail perhaps?

Given that "man mail" shows no mention of things like SMTP (the
Internet mail protocol), and talks about things like sendmail, I
strongly suspect this is the case.

Note that it does not explicitly require "sendmail" the program; it
simply requires a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) that emulates the sendmail
interface.  One such program (and the one that I use) is "Postfix".

Most alternatives tend to be easier to configure than sendmail, IMO.

> (2) can 'mail' be setup to send mail through my isp?

No, but your MTA can, and 'mail' by extension.  In Postfix, this would
be the "relayhost" option.  In sendmail, I think it's called a
"smarthost" or similar.