Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SATA RAID Recommendations for Linux

Bart Trojanowski wrote:

* Milan Budimirovic <milan [ dot ] budimirovic [ at ] sympatico [ dot ] ca> [060616 21:51]:
Anyway, I went for the Adaptec 2420S and had no trouble getting it working under Ubuntu Server 6.06. It boots directly off the RAID array too. :)

So I am curious... what do your hdparm -tT numbers show?  Which drives
are they?

Since you asked:

root@oconnor:/etc# hdparm -tT /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing cached reads:   4188 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2094.00 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  218 MB in  3.01 seconds =  72.43 MB/sec

The Adaptec RAID driver treats the array as a single SCSI drive, similar to the LSI MegaRAID driver. Unlike the DAC960 driver for the Mylex controllers, you don't get a lot of kernel-level info about the array or any of the drives.

The drives are 160G Seagate SATAII drives. There are 4 drives in a RAID 10 configuration.