Re: [OCLUG-Tech] What does a computer do?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:31:59PM -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;  For any who might be interested in the question I posed a few
> minutes ago, I have made some adjustments to quoted paragraph.  It now
> reads:
>
> "A digital computer is an appliance that takes in information meaningful
> to humans; converts it into electrical data; stores it; may or may not
> transform the data; and presents it as information to humans.
>
> Electrical data consists of a set, or continuous stream, of lower or
> higher voltage pulses or bits.  Data is transformed by transistors
> switching electrical data from one circuit to another.  The possible
> transformations are: changing a higher voltage bit to a lower voltage
> and vice versa; arithmetic addition of two sets of data bits; and,
> moving data from one meaningful location to another meaningful
> location within the computer."

The definition you say is perfectly valid; but I think could be
generalized somewhat. For example, many consider the abacus; the
ancient Chinese calculator tool to be a type of "computer". So I
might be inclined to give a definition such as:

"A computer is a device that manipulates information"

Wikipedia says:

"A computer is a machine designed for manipulating data according to a
list of instructions known as a program."

Anyways, I think your definition is perfectly valid for a more specific
meaning.

-Ross