[OCLUG-Tech] Re: [oclug] PANIC, My Suse 9.1 Update did not work.....

Today I am finally awake enough to look at the system to see what I can find.

AS I previously mentioned I did the YOU online update and the system refused to re-boot, giving me a text mode GRUB prompt rather than the normal Graphical boot menu.

I tried booting with the first install disk, and selecting rescue system. That sets me up in a small system all on a ram disk.

I tried doing a "df" and found only that ramdisk.

I then ran fdisk, and discovered that I have two Linux partitions, One at /dev/hda1 and a big one at /dev/hda6

I made a directory at /mnt on the ramdisk, and mounted the first one. It also has a set of "/" directories the biggest being /dev

There is a /boot directory which has a vmlinuz file pointing to what looks like a kernel

I exited the rescue system, and restarted the machine, at the grub prompt I tried giving the kernel command as

kernel /dev/hda1/boot/vmlinuz

and I got an error that it cannot read the directory.

while in the rescue system sitting in the /mnt/test//boot directory I did try typing mkinitrd, but got an error that there was no need to make initrd on /

I am a little nervous about trying the chroot that someone suggested, in case it leaves me outside the system. After I can down to where the system is downstairs I got a panic notion that perhaps I should have unmounted the /dev/hda1 system before I did a halt on the rescue CD in case it did not unmount everything automatically?

One of the troubles I am having is that the computer has chugged along for a year without a burp, and so I have gotten both complacent, and out of practice at looking at the command line tools.

--
Charles MacDonald  Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] telecomottawa [ dot ] net      Just Beyond the Fringe