[OCLUG-Tech] PANIC, My Suse 9.1 Update did not work.....

I just ran the YOU update on my Suse 9.1 computer last night, It finished this morning, and I confidently did a re-boot.

Instead of the expected screen of rapidly moving text, I got a GRUB prompt. Typing boot gave me "Kernel must be loaded first"!

I tried to use the Green book, and cat the files that are mentioned but it said it could not mount the device.

I know that I have a reiser File system on the machine, and it is on some fairly high numbered partition. but I was unsure how to specify the partition.

I then tried booting the Suse install disk and asked for rescue system, but that seems to be showing me a filesystem from the rescue disk, (at least I hope so, as "Home" is empty!

I have been happily using that system as almost total GUI for what must be over a year now. I just grabbed my old box to write this and the last mail in the inbox is dated 3-12-2005, and the system did a fsck because it had not been checked in 370 some days.

Where do I go from here. I am guessing (Hoping) that "YOU "did not rebuild the initrd, and so the kernel is not bootable.

Last time YOU updated the Kernel I ran mkinitrd just to be sure, this time I did not as I was under the impression that this was not needed.

I don't want to make it worse, so I have shut it down.

One thought was to "update the Suse system using the CD, which should put back a kernel from two versions ago. or get a 9.2 disk set and upgrade the existing system.

I think my breath is back to normal now, and so I am open to clam suggestions. I have this old system but I don't want to actually download my mail here, so I will be getting complains I am sure in a few days about filling the spool at my ISP.

--
Charles MacDonald  Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] telecomottawa [ dot ] net      Just Beyond the Fringe