[OCLUG-Tech] SpeedStream 4200

I installed Ubuntu (Breezy) onto a friend's box this evening.
Everything went smoothly, except for the network setup, which did not
go forward as his ADSL modem, a Siemens SpeedStream 4200, was not
detected.  It was complicated by its being connected not with the
usual ethernet cable but by USB.  I could not even bring up the eth0
interface.

I believe the SpeedStream 4200 is the device now used by Sympatico for
its subscribers.

Does anyone have any experience setting one of these up, with or
without ethernet?

Thanks,
Dave.
--