[OCLUG-Tech] Install problem

Hello all,
Im having a problem that Ive never, in all my many installations,
encountered.  First off, Im trying to install Slackware 10.2 on a
Toshiba Satellite M-70 laptop.  I boot the first intallation CD and get
to the basic login prompt, where I can run all the basic commands... So
I run fdisk to create the necessary partitions and where usually my
partition table is located (/dev/hda  ...since its the first, and only
disk) it is actually the CD-ROM table. I then search all the hd*
devices and I cannot find a reference to my disk's partition table
anywhere.  So I go back to Windows XP (came installed) run Partition
Magic to create the correct partition table, and verify everything,
etc... once again when I get back to fdisk, my partition table is
nowhere to be seen.  Its the weirdest thing.  I look through the dmesg
output and I see the disk being recognized and the nescessary ide
controller modules being loaded and assigned, but still nothing.  I was
wondering if anyone has came across a similar problem or could give me
any little tips on what I may be doing wrong, because this one is really
stumping me.