Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux distro for server

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 04:44:53PM -0500, GR Gaudreau wrote:

> [gr]   I've run Ubuntu, a derivative of Debian. Every time I've
> tried to install Debian, I get an error message and a red screen
> that tells me it can't set up the network. Oddly, Ubunutu, which has
> basically the same installer, never has a problme with my NIC, it
> sets it up in short order.

In Debian, last time I installed it, there was a step right before
network setup where you could load kernel modules.  The Debian
installer kernel comes with some NIC drivers compiled in, and the rest
as modules.  It does no autodetection, so you need to load your NIC
driver or else it won't be able to set anything up.

That's the only impediment I've ever had with setting up the network.
I usually don't care if it fails anyway, since I'm perfectly happy
messing with /etc/network/interfaces anyway.

> Does anyone have any idea why the Debian installer does this?

I assume "anyone" means "me", since you didn't CC the list. :)
I've done so in my response.  Hope you don't mind.