Re: [OCLUG-Tech] RE: Linux Digest, Vol 11, Issue 3

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] RE: Linux Digest, Vol 11, Issue 3
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:18:16 -0500
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 08:33:58AM -0500, Jim Wilkinson wrote:
> I had the same issue when I first got my Rogers access.  2 things may be
> at fault here.  Try Phil's suggestion first.  The modem does keep the
> MAC address internally.  If you have more then one PC at home , the
> modem needs to be powered down and then up to get the new mac from the
> connected PC.  The other issue may be your configuration at your
> institution. They may have set sone of your IP attributes manually
> through scripts,  getting you IP address from DHCP but hard coded your
> DNS or default route entries.  I know that sounds nuts, but I've seen it
> happen.

My biggest suggestion is:

Don't connect directly to rogers with your desktop.  Spend less than
$100 and buy a Linksys WRT54gs or similar and be done with it.

They connect to the internet and your desktop(s) use NAT.  It keeps the
desktops off the evil internet and means you don't have to have to
maintain a firewall on each desktop.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE