Re: [OCLUG-Tech] laptop

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:31:57AM -0400, Mike Hoye wrote:
> If it's possible, I'd try to buy something with Nvidia graphics hardware.
>
> The ATI linux support situation is pretty dismal, especially on laptop
> hardware.

I've been running Ubuntu/hoary (kernel 2.6.10) for months against an
X300 Radeon.  I haven't noticed any problems, digital video playback
included (LCD artifacts aside).  Most of my gaming is done on a
dedicated console, so I can't speak to the 3D acceleration support for
the X series Radeon cards.

On the other hand, my brother told me several horror stories
concerning Linksys PCMCIA wifi cards on Linux.  He suggesting avoiding
most of the cheaper variants.

Don Kelly/