Re: [OCLUG-Tech] laptop

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:31:57AM -0400, Mike Hoye wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 03:08:55PM +0000, ed stuckems wrote:
> > In particular, what should I be looking for to ensure
> > that I can run linux, and is there anything that I should watch out for
> > because it will preclude the use of Linux (specific hardware that isn't
> > supported, etc.)
>
> If it's possible, I'd try to buy something with Nvidia graphics hardware.
>
> The ATI linux support situation is pretty dismal, especially on laptop
> hardware.

Is that really true?  ATI distributes drivers (as does Nvidia) if you're
willing to run binary drivers.  As far as I know only really high-end
ATI cards aren't supported in direct rendering mode using the open
source DRM/DRI interface  (> 9600, I think)

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE