Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Ubuntu JVM query

I have also had problems installing Java as a plugin, on REd hat.
Can you tell us where you have put links to the Java plugin, and is the Java plugin folder on your path? What else did you do to make it work?

Rob

nashjc wrote:
I've installed Ubuntu 5.1 (Breezy Badger) on a "new" junker in my U of O
office. It seems to have a nasty problem with Java plugin for browsers.
Despite following all the instructions on the Sun page plus a few more hints from the web, I cannot get Java to run properly as plugin. It is definitely there. I've tried Mozilla, Mozilla-Firefox and Opera.

Mozilla shows Java plugin installed in the list of plugins, then says it needs to be when one goes to a java requiring site (one of our own!).

Firefox says I need to get it.

Opera implies the preferences are set wrong and that I need to install Motif, which Ubuntu doesn't know about.

Anyone else had these troubles? I'll probably change distro (again!!!). Seems no single distro has all the bits working that I need to do my teaching work. It's almost enough to persuade one to use that other OS.

JN