[OCLUG-Tech] Ubuntu JVM query

I've installed Ubuntu 5.1 (Breezy Badger) on a "new" junker in my U of O
office. It seems to have a nasty problem with Java plugin for browsers.
Despite following all the instructions on the Sun page plus a few more hints from the web, I cannot get Java to run properly as plugin. It is definitely there. I've tried Mozilla, Mozilla-Firefox and Opera.

Mozilla shows Java plugin installed in the list of plugins, then says it needs to be when one goes to a java requiring site (one of our own!).

Firefox says I need to get it.

Opera implies the preferences are set wrong and that I need to install Motif, which Ubuntu doesn't know about.

Anyone else had these troubles? I'll probably change distro (again!!!). Seems no single distro has all the bits working that I need to do my teaching work. It's almost enough to persuade one to use that other OS.

JN

message navigation