[OCLUG-Tech] Re: [oclug] USB keyboard remapping

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: [oclug] USB keyboard remapping
  • From: Tony van Muyden <tnt [ at ] cuic [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:26:38 -0400
Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> (I assume netiquette would be to respond to this e-mail on one list or
> the other, but not both?  Dunno.)
>
> I have a laptop.  Its own internal keyboard works fine.  I have a USB
> keyboard, which also works fine.
>
> What I want is to plug the USB keyboard in, but use a completely
> different keymapping.  Specifically, I'd like one to be Qwerty and the
> other to be Dvorak.
>
> Is this even possible, or do I have to hack the USB keyboard module?

Well, unless you can set up an other keyboard and driver in the same
login space it is not possible likely.

I use dvorak since 1996 years already, I have a dvorak layed out
keyboard from Keytronics for one system.  I finally made the full switch
about 5 years ago, when  I got tired of having to switch the keyboard
controls over when the phone with a client rang.  So now all 'doze at
the office, all 'nix and nux'ses have a dvorak keyboard layout by default.

I even changed the registry for bootup in 'doze, so that the bootup
keyboard is Dvorak, quite neat !
I would suggest a script that sets up the keyboard for you by remapping
back and forth, so that when you are on any keyboard you can have dvorak.
I wrote something like this in the '90 to be able to remap the keyboard
on the fly.  Maybe I can find it for you, but is was for HPUX I believe.
There is a keymap command in HPUX, and this also may be in any other
'nux, for you.  X11 will do keyboard mapping also, so there is files
there that you can play with as well.

I hope that this info as fellow Dvorakker, will give you the push to
switch over completely.  It only took a couple of weeks of solid work to
"loose" that stupid querty layout from the brain.
Now I can type with all 10 digits faster, hold the shift while typing
most variables, and gone is the "hunt and peck"... that I used to do.
Any passwords in windows login and the unix/linux have now a simple
extra "security" since no-one else can type his password in even if it
is right.  Only a Dvorak initiate can work with my systems now !

Tony van Muyden