Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Routing loop?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:47:18PM -0400, Brett Delmage wrote:

> Is this what I think it is (idiocy) ? Another "happy" cybersurf
> customer showed me something like this a few weeks ago.

It happens occasionally on the Internet, albeit usually in a much
tighter loop, like between two routers.

Keep in mind that it's not necessarily humans making these decisions.
Much of what happens on the Internet is completely automated,
especially when it comes to doing silly things like routing loops.
Depending on the protocol, it's possible for two routers to get out of
sync, believe the wrong thing about each other, and keep forwarding
packets back and forth.