[OCLUG-Tech] Getting a USB Epson printer going.

Hi, I have been having bad luck with printers on my Suse 9.1 system.

I bought a "new" Duron unit to upgrade to 9.1, and my old Lexmark Opera E did not run. Trying to print resulted in large piles of paper with a few gibberish characters each. I have been printing to PDF to floppy and using my wife's printer.

I decided to try a USB printer, and bought a used Epson Stylus PHOTO RX500, as that is shown as well supported, and the film scanner feature could prove useful.

I get the unit today, and after figuring out where to put the paper, I used it to make a standalone copy to ensure the unit was working.

I plugged the unit into a USB port and asked YAST2 to add a printer.

It detected the unit as USB printer on //EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX500

But when I try to print to it I get a job that completes, but no action from the printer.

I have no idea where to tinker....

I will be glad to tray and capture test data if anyone can tell me where to look. I would of course still like to get the laser jobbie also going as this epson is going to VEERY EXPENSIVE to run with six ink cartridges to play with.

Please tell me where to start!

--
Charles MacDonald      cmacd [ at ] TelecomOttawa [ dot ] net     Stittsville Ontario
1800+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,

message navigation