[OCLUG-Tech] USB - reiserfs woes

I'm trying to move my old home directory from my old hard disk onto a new hard
disk.  The new hard disk is in an USB enclosure, my old one is in my desktop,
and both the new partition and the old partition are formatted reiserfs.  I'm
running the desktop off of Kanotix, a Knoppix clone.

While copying files over onto the new disk, konqueror or cp will occasionally
choke on files or folders, and not copy them.  I can read the files which are
on my old hard drive, I just can't write them onto the new one.  Trying to
delete files on the new hard drive sometimes works, other times it kills
konqueror.  I can't unmount either, it says the disk is still busy.

Any guesses what the problem might be?  I think it has something to do with
reiserfs, but I'm not sure at all.  (I'm half tempted to repartition the new
hard drive ext3 and try to duck the problem that way.)  It feels like
cheating, but moving files over in small batches is _very_ frustrating.

-Sebastien