Re: [OCLUG-Tech] USB - reiserfs woes

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 05:20 -0400, Sebastien Bailard wrote:
> I'm trying to move my old home directory from my old hard disk onto a new hard
> disk.  The new hard disk is in an USB enclosure, my old one is in my desktop,
> and both the new partition and the old partition are formatted reiserfs.  I'm
> running the desktop off of Kanotix, a Knoppix clone.
>
> While copying files over onto the new disk, konqueror or cp will occasionally
> choke on files or folders, and not copy them.  I can read the files which are
> on my old hard drive, I just can't write them onto the new one.  Trying to
> delete files on the new hard drive sometimes works, other times it kills
> konqueror.  I can't unmount either, it says the disk is still busy.
>
> Any guesses what the problem might be?  I think it has something to do with
> reiserfs, but I'm not sure at all.  (I'm half tempted to repartition the new
> hard drive ext3 and try to duck the problem that way.)  It feels like
> cheating, but moving files over in small batches is _very_ frustrating.

I haven't had any unexpected problem with reiserfs when using it under
both mandrake and suse. I guess it might depend on the distro and kernel
patch level but in your case I suspect the USB stuff.
I have tried to use a USB drive and did see that I couldn't send big
amounts of files, had to do it in smaller batches, and that was to vfat.
Later I moved the USB connection from the fron (which comes from some
cables on the mobo) to the back (which is part of the connection array
in the back) and then it started to work (kind of, had forgotten that I
couldn't save the 4.4G iso on vfat).

Bottom line, try a different USB jack
check for USB errors in the logs
good luck