Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does one test if bash shell is interactive

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] how does one test if bash shell is interactive
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:29:20 -0400
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:09:59AM -0400, Ian! D. Allen wrote:

> > When a script is launched with '&', attempting to read from the
> > controlling terminal sends a TTIN signal.
>
> Only if the process group of the spawned process is different from
> the process group of the terminal.  That only happens when the
> spawning shell does job control (and thus puts background processes
> in their own process group).

Cool, didn't know that.

Anyway, there's various ways to determine various things about how the
program was launched, not all of them cut-and-dry.  If these don't
give you what you're looking for, then let us know exactly what you're
trying to *do* (i.e. why you need to know this stuff) and we can
perhaps figure out a means. :)