Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Backups

On 8 Aug 2005 at 10:55, Jody McIntyre wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 06:38:36AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Which give me an opening to mention Bacula (http://www.bacula.org/),
> > my backup software of choice.  It's come a long way in the past year
> > or so.  It works.  It's pretty simple to understand the basics.  It
> > works for standalone computers, large networks, and huge tape
> > libaraies.  Backs up to disk, tape, DVD...
>
> I just rsync my machines to other systems in different physical
> locations.  It was easy to get going and doesn't require extra hardware
> (but does use up a fair amount of disk.)  I recommend it to anyone who
> wants backups but doesn't want to think too hard about them :)

I used to do that.

If a problem occured two ryncs ago, can you get to the backup from
three rsyncs ago?

Being able to restore to an arbitrary point in time is useful to me.
And knowing that I have media that I can move to another location is
also important.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/