[OCLUG-Tech] Backups

On 8 Aug 2005 at 3:03, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 12:23:06PM -0400, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
>
> > That's what I thought too.  Then on disk in my RAID-5 array died.  I
> > swapped out the bad disk for a good disk, and the recovery started.
> > The recovery put so much stress on the other old drives that one of
> > them also died.  I didn't lose much data, but I did lose some.
> [...]
> > 2) spend the extra money fro RAID-1.
>
> But don't rely on it instead of backups.  IMO, aside from RAID-0, RAID
> is 95% about uptime, 5% about data survival.
>
> There's always still the risk that a RAID-1 drive going down is simply
> the tip of the iceberg, and that whatever caused its death may be
> lurking on the remaining drive, waiting to take it down too.

Which give me an opening to mention Bacula (http://www.bacula.org/),
my backup software of choice.  It's come a long way in the past year
or so.  It works.  It's pretty simple to understand the basics.  It
works for standalone computers, large networks, and huge tape
libaraies.  Backs up to disk, tape, DVD...

disclosure: I'm a committer on the Bacula project.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/