Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users UPDATE

Thanks David;

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 19:57 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Actually, I just thought of a way that *might* work.
>
> You can create two users: user1 and user2.  Give them the *same* uid
> (the same decimal number that identifies users in /etc/passwd) and the
> same group id, but different home directories.
>
> Because you have different home directories, your users can have different
> desktops.  Also, symlinking the evolution directories should work (or
> hardlinking them if that fails) because all the permissions will be OK.

I understand you proposal and appreciate it.  I plan to give it a try,
but for now I already have three Linux learning curves to climb.  So I
am going to put it off for a couple of weeks.

> > The only other possible solution I can see is to somehow run two
> > xwindows servers for 1 user.  I don't know how that can be done.
>
> That's easy; I do it all the time.  Just have gdm or xdm start up
> two servers in different virtual consoles.  On Debian, I just make
> sure these two lines are in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:
>
> [servers]
> 0=Standard
> 1=Standard

I tried it.  It did nothing for my problem, except getting me to explore
gdm.conf a bit for the first time.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards Bill