Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?
  • From: Phil Orpen <philip [ at ] orpen [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:53:39 -0400
(inline, many lines snipped)

On  7-Aug-2005 01:10 Bart Trojanowski wrote:
| In general, I would say...
|
|  /      for all your OS, so ~5G
|  /home  for user data, depends, 5-10G
|  /var   for server data and logs, 5-10G

| You mentioned software RAID... don't use RAID5.  Spend the $50 to get
| another 40G drive and do RAID1 (mirror).

Re: raid1 v.s. raid5... agreed.   go for simplicity before performance.
Besides, unless you have GigE or faster network on that server, you
won't gain much performance from raid5.

On  7-Aug-2005 03:03 Robert Brockway wrote:
| >  /      for all your OS, so ~5G
|
| The only thing I'd say here is that corruption on / is much worse than
| corruption anywhere else.  For this reason it can pay to make / as small
| as possible and spit off /usr and /opt.  It can also be a hassle if you
| make it too small :)

Just a small hint which has been pretty handy... keep it less than 4.7GB
if you can so you can back it up to a single DVDR without hassle.
Compression will let you store more, but making it a bootable disc is
worth more by turning it into a custom tailored rescue disc.
(or 8GB if you have one of those fancy new dual layer drives.)

| There is a hidden catch with using tmpfs.  Linux cannot quota this
| filesystem type yet so a user can (un)intentionally fill /tmp with ease.
| On multi-user systems I refrain from using tmpfs for this reason.  A

Agreed.  But doesn't need to be on a raid array... got an old 20GB drive
kicking around?  This is a partition that can be lost without losing
all that much hair ;-)     $umount /tmp; mount -t tmpfs /tmp    is a
quick fix for when it does fail.

Addtionally, just four more small points here:

ext3 v.s. reiserfs v.s. other FSs.. these can start holy wars, but what
I do is use ext3 for relatively static data... reiserfs for when there
are a heck of lot of files (big and small files) e.g. ext3 for /, /usr,
/opt and whatnot,   reiserfs for /home, /var and anything which has a
large amount of code source (/usr/src for e.g.)

Also, you don't _have_ to add whole drives to a RAID array.. but it
makes it a lot easier when setting it up and hard drives are pretty
cheap.

If you do set up swap on a system with two or more hard drives (raided
or not) split the swap partition into two and mount both with equal
priority... e.g.
$ grep swap /etc/fstab
/dev/hda2 none swap     pri=0 0 0
/dev/hdc2 none swap     pri=0 0 0

In single user mode, with only / mounted, chmod 000 /home /var and the
other mount points.  It helps avoid silly mistakes (yours or others'..
myself included).

-Phil
 ----
philip [ at ] orpen [ dot ] com (Pgp: 0xB578851A)
Freelance Linux Technician  (Need Help?)