Re: [OCLUG-Tech] CACert - free digital certificates

Dan Langille wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2005 at 9:27, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:30:19PM -0400, Bill Strosberg wrote:
>>

>>>CA-issued certs & automatic browser inclusion of root certs always
>>>have been a thorn in my side.  Why should anyone trust someone else
>>>because they paid a third party to say they are who they are? (even
>>>if they lied).
>>
>>The original (primary) idea was that the cert companies verify who you
>>are, sort of like PGP.
>>
>>The (secondary) idea was to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks by
>>ensuring that the 'in the middle' guy has to a) at least expend
>>more effort trying to get a similar certificate, and b) hopefully not
>>succeed.
>>
>>Obviously, I have no idea if either of these are still being practiced
>>by the companies in question.
>

> So... about CACert....
>
> What do you think about them?

Companies like this ask you to install a chain-of-authority cert along
with the cert they issue you - this establishes their path back to a
trusted root cert when someone queries the webserver for the cert info.
 If you properly install the chain cert, users that connect your your
webserver can SSL/TLS without those annoying "Warning!" messages slowing
their surfing.

CACert is no better or worse than anyone else in the business.  My
position is that the whole on-line trust model is broken.
Profit!-motivated organizations have no place in a trustworthy system.
Principles are always soluable in cash.

--
Bill