Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Copy of Server

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 11:37:42AM -0400, Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> My students have Linux on caddy drives that they plug in various places.
> Of course, /etc/fstab on the caddy is wrong half the time; since, the
> caddy drive may be on the primary IDE controller on one machine (/dev/hda
> or /dev/hdb) and on the secondary IDE controller (/dev/hdc or /dev/hdd)
> on another.  Assuming you can edit the GRUB boot line to point at the
> new location for the root partition, the system dies reading the wrong
> things out of /etc/fstab.

One solution would be to 'label' the partitions using e2label, and putting,
for example :

LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

In the /etc/fstab.

The root partition can be mounted by using /dev/root in place of the
device name to get it properly named from the kernel command line.

Regards,
--
Kyle McMartin, bofh [ at ] engsoc [ dot ] org