[OCLUG-Tech] IBM and the Linux Community

This arrived at info [ at ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca from IBM:

----- Forwarded message from Robert MacFarlan <Robert_MacFarlan [ at ] us [ dot ] ibm [ dot ] com> -----

To: info [ at ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
Subject: IBM and the Linux Community
From: Robert MacFarlan <Robert_MacFarlan [ at ] us [ dot ] ibm [ dot ] com>

Hello,

I am trying to make some of the larger user groups worldwide aware of some
things IBM is up with regard to the Linux Opens Source Developer
Community.  IBM has just launched this years version of an Open Source
Developer Contest.  This contest awards the development of new and porting
of specific existing Open Source applications to LinuxPPC64.  The idea is
to raise awareness and knowledge/experience with regard to LinuxPPC64.
Prizes include Segway HTs, Apple Power Mac G5s, and good 'ole cash.  I
encourage your members to join the contest as well as spread the word.
Additional information can be found at: http://www.linuxonpower.com .

Also, I have been working with a number of Universities world-wide that
are interested in hosting LinuxPPC64 systems to provide free access to the
Open Source community for developing and porting applications on
LinuxPPC64.  So far there are three Universities on-line w/ more to come
looking out over the year.  The Universities currently offering access
include the University of Portland (http://www.egr.up.edu:8080), the
University of Augsburg (http://tuxppc.rz.uni-augsburg.de/), and Peking
University (http://ppclinux.pku.edu.cn/ ).  U of P and Peking University
are running SLES9, while U of Augsburg is running Debian on our latest
POWER5 processor.  If your members / affiliates are interested in working
on state-of-the-art LinuxPPC64 systems, please go to any of those web
sites and register for a free ssh account.

Cheers,

Robert MacFarlan
Strategist
ISV Global Solutions Enablement
IBM

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Warren A. Layton
GPG Fingerprint: F54C 019D 18BE 6ED8 678D  39D0 21FD D515 BFB8 80A3