[OCLUG-Tech] Japanese IM in Gnome

We will have a Japanese student staying for a few weeks this Summer.  I
want to provide some sort of native language input support so they can
send email etc.  I'm running Mandrake 10.1 (thanks iStop) using Gnome
for the desktop. Kanji and kana display without any problem so surfing,
looking at pdfs etc is not a problem but entering text is proving
difficult.

SCIM seems to work for a few applications but completely pooches
Firefox.  uim-xim doesn't seem to work at all - may be a locale problem.
I  have rtfm'd and Googled without success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not tied to Gnome so KDE or other
options are welcome too.

Thanks

Pat