Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Debian on Raid and LVM.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:06:39 -0500 Jody McIntyre <scjody [ at ] modernduck [ dot ] com>
wrote:

> I've never used it from the Debian installer so I don't know how well
> that part will work.  If it's a supported configuration, I'd say go
> for it.  Please let us know how it turns out :)

Well it looks like I am a chicken. :-)

After researching the problem a bit I have decided to go with a root on
raid + twin small swaps + lvm on raid for everything else. Even without
raid, root on lvm looks fragile. As far as I can tell a dedicated /boot
and initrd are required to activate the lvm before mouting root. On the
other hand grub supports booting from a Linux software raid partition
and it should boot from a degraded array if one disk fails. (I will be
testing this :-).

My disks will be partitioned as such:
part1	md0	/	2GB
part2	swap		1GB (or less)
part3	lvm

>From a survey of three Debian systems 2GB is overkill for root. /Usr,
/var, and the rest will be on the same filesystem. I could put /usr in
the LVM and only need 512MB for root, but I prefer the convinience of
the whole system in one filesystem when things "go wrong." Two 1GB swap
partitions are sufficient for this system. The Raid HowTo suggests that
two swap partitions on two drives is better then swap on raid.

The goal of the system is to run virtual machines under Xen
paravirtualization. More on that later.

--
sg