home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Received headers (was Re: Bluenose email)

  • Subject: Re: Received headers (was Re: Bluenose email)
  • From: Rob Echlin <rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2026 00:08:27 -0400
Ok.
I agree my IP can be obtained easily. I did not know that.

On the other hand, Drumpf's agencies should not be able to force my Canadian ISP to give them any info.

Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Alice

Sep. 23, 2026 14:09:58 Ron via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org>:

> Dianne Skoll via linux wrote on 2026-09-23 06:31:
>> What I'm wondering is this:  Why is it a problem if your IP address is
>> disclosed?  Maybe if you're a dissident in an authoritarian society, but
>> in Canada?  I don't see it.
> 
> For me, when I ran some web servers on my home IP, I felt it preferable to refrain from disclosing my IP in every email. Not a huge deal, just preferred.
> 
> 
> When I finally implemented the feature though, it was mostly a learning process for Postfix.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>> If a government agency wanted to find my IP address, they would do so by ordering my ISP to disclose it.
> Well, if the IP isn't in the headers, they wouldn't know which ISP to approach.
> 
> But then they'd just see who controls the server first in the list of Received-From and demand account info from that provider.  Basically, I'm agreeing with you re: nation-state level investigators.
> 
> 
> 
>> And there are a million other ways to find out your IP, not the
>> least looking at server logs if you happen to visit a government
>> website.
> Tying a specific visitor to an email header IP would take a lot more effort if the ISP-assigned IP is stripped from the headers.
> 
> 
> 
> Again, pretty much agreeing with you on all points but at least I'm a wee bit more protected from DDoS when that originating IP is stripped out.  And, I learned something doing it and that's the real bonus.
> 
> 
> 
> Cheers!
>