home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Received headers (was Re: Bluenose email)

On Wed, 23 Sep 2026 11:09:42 -0700
Ron via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote:

> Dianne Skoll via linux wrote on 2026-09-23 06:31:
> > And there are a million other ways to find out your IP, not the
> > least looking at server logs if you happen to visit a government
> > website.

> Tying a specific visitor to an email header IP would take a lot more 
> effort if the ISP-assigned IP is stripped from the headers.

If you are *logged in* to said website, which I do on a semi-regular
basis (CRA, ServiceOntario, etc.) they know who you are.

> Again, pretty much agreeing with you on all points but at least I'm a 
> wee bit more protected from DDoS when that originating IP is stripped 
> out. And, I learned something doing it and that's the real bonus.

OK!  I guess I took a different approach and set up VPN tunnels between my
home and my OVH virtual server instance, so the only IPs revealed are
non-routable except for the actual OVH server's IP.

Regards,

Dianne.

P.S: I think there are companies who look at server logs to obtain IP
address lists.  I recently enabled IPv6 and I've had a few probes on a
couple of my IPv6 addresses, which would be extremely difficult to
just guess.  A bunch of the probes seem to come from
https://help.coalitioninc.com/hc/en-us/articles/48928737389979-What-the-BinaryEdge-scanner-does-and-why-Coalition-may-scan-your-internet-facing-systems


To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org