On Wed, 23 Sep 2026 11:09:52 -0400 Rob Echlin via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote: > 1. Read email from you anywhere. > 2. Find IP address > 3. Attack that network appliance > 4. Attack all devices on that network > 5. Found another router in that net? Repeat 3. > 6. Listen on all hacked routers. If you think hiding your IP address in email headers protects you from that, you don't understand the problem. If a government agency wanted to find my IP address, they would do so by ordering my ISP to disclose it. And there are a million other ways to find out your IP, not the least looking at server logs if you happen to visit a government website. Unless you're paranoid enough to use Tor everywhere, just assume your IP can be easily found, or indeed randomly stumbled upon by a script kiddy; I'm logging tens of thousands of probes per day against my IP. > If you have not taken specific, fairly expensive care to install a > third party device, you are (I am) using the cheapest router (my) > ISP could find. My routing is done on a Raspberry Pi, FWIW. I put the DSL modem into bridging-only mode and I terminate the PPPoE session on my Pi. Regards, Dianne. To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org