home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Bluenose email

Eric Marceau via linux wrote on 2026-09-22 14:28:

I would like to know:

    Does anyone have reservations about *Stripe* as a payment handler?

Yeah, but what wholly Canadian payment processors are there?

Hopefully they'll support Interacâ„¢ too.


I find it *very off-putting* that we have *no way of identifying the principals involved* with this initiative.

Maybe it indicates the principals behind it are legitimately privacy focused?


We have *no* idea whether this is a potential large-scale fraud or not!  Does anyone have contacts with the *RCMP* to make a quick determination as to legitimacy of this operation?

They won't know and wouldn't tell anyone.


I am honestly shocked at the possibility that it MIGHT never get off the ground, as per the TOS statement

    /If we do not move forward with launching the service,
    every deposit will be automatically refunded in full./

Seems reasonable. Nerds might think this is a great idea, but if only a dozen sign up for the service, it may not be viable. Normal people may even hear about Bluenose, may not care, may be too cheap to pay for privacy,...

Hence they're just clarifying that there's no risk to signing up. Reasonable.


Also, *I sent a feedback message* to them, the text of which is the following

    /You want to make this fly, it should be FREE like Gmail, with a
    data-storage cap for free accounts, or increased data capacity for
    a paid Premium service.
    /

Interesting, but those free users require support and at the free tier might not be worth supporting. At least initially.

People are learning that "free" isn't what it seems. Hence the success of Patreon.


    /Then sell it to Gov Can that they should fund the basic service
    accounts, in order to promote the mass migration in the shortest
    possible timeframe./

Also interesting idea.

But, that may be seen as the government endorsing the service, and if it fails, they probably don't want flack for it.


    /My wife would love to move away from Live.ca which is also a free
    service./

Bluenose is only $2 / month. If that's a deal breaker, then privacy & digital sovereignty just does not matter to such users.


    /Time to offer a service that can actually be SEEN as a
    replacement for those free services./

They would then need to offer CalDAV, CardDAV, and probably WebDAV. Which complicates quota management significantly, as well as password management.


The traditional Postfix + Dovecot lacks a mechanism for users to update their own passwords (one needs a web mail app like RoundCube for that).


Probably encryption-at-rest should be considered. Also challenging to offer and to explain to users. Then, the inevitable "I lost my key, how do I get my email messages back?!?" support tickets.


They say "no phone numbers required" but I suspect if this grows then they'll encounter situations where a second channel of reaching users might be warranted. "I replaced my phone, forgot password - how do I get my mail?!?"



    /You might even want to see if you can get a "per capita funding"
    for the free accounts/

That's another interesting thought.

message navigation