OCLUG meeting Thursday May 4th 2023

When: 7pm Thursday May 4th 2023
Where: https://meet.jit.si/oclug_2023-05-04

Check the mailing list for individuals hosting in-person clusters.

Request for volunteers to give talks, short or long, for future meetings - If you have a Linux related presentation or demo you'd be comfortable sharing with the group, or a discussion topic you wish to introduce, then please let us know.

The OCLUG legal not-for-profit corporation no longer exists... Long live OCLUG!

Topics

1. Talk from Katie McMillan: "The Princess and the Wacom One" (this is the talk postponed from last month, due to the ice storm taking Katie and her Wacom off-grid)

2. (new) Regular lightning / open mic spot. We want to encourage everyone to bring up a tip or discussion topic, so we will have a regular spot.

3. Discussion on collaboration with NCF
    1. Who are they, why we donated the corporation's resources to them?
    2. Zimbra ("the leader in open source messaging and collaboration") is becoming closed source...     3. What we can give, what we can get from NCF? eg they use deprecated ftp, not ssh

4. Discussion about OCLUG going forward
    1. Meetings
        1. How to evolve our monthly meetings and online presence, both of which continue since dissolution.         2. Create an environment where more people feel free to chip in during meetings.
    2. Services
        1. OVH for 18 months, then what? A dude/dudess with a VM?
        2. Multiple offers for help. How and what do we do?
        3. wiki vs static pages? (presentation material, site no longer needed for corporation)
        4. mailing list
    3. Rules
        1. Replacement of "onerous by-laws" with some "collegial commitments".
        2. Replace "board" with something less formal sounding.