2FA question: do authentication apps need data service?

Recently I noticed that my OVH VPS prompted me to set up two factor authentication (2FA)

I use my cell phone to get SMS messages with 2FA codes. But my service is only voice and SMS.
I don't have data service, and so far haven't needed or wanted it.

Though the docs (and the help chat -- they were surprised to learn otherwise) said I could
choose SMS 2FA, the web page setup only offers two options -- a smart phone app or a
security device.

I'm wondering if the phone app (downloaded with wifi for example) would work when NOT
connected to a network, which is the usual state, as I turn off wifi to save battery.

Cheers, JN