Re: Ubuntu LTS no longer updates Universe repository

On 2023-03-05 13:00, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Mar 2023 11:37:19 -0500
> rob [ at ] echlin [ dot ] ca wrote:
>
>> Looks like its Debian Time. (Any time is Debian Time.)
>> What are your takes on this?
>
> I've never understood the appeal of Ubuntu.  It's really no better than
> Debian and Canonical is a really crappy company with a toxic CEO and a
> dreadful work environment (check Glassdoor reviews...)

Can't leave this hanging.

I worked at Canoncial for 7 years and it was magical. Best job ever. Always got along with the CEO. The main thing about
Ubuntu is that before it came along Linux was an extremely niche product reserved for ubergeeks, and after it became
something even grandmas and web developers could use.

Now I have no idea what they're doing with Ubuntu Pro since I haven't been involved for the last 5 years, but if it's
anything like all the social media outrage of the past that surrounds anything Canonical does, very little of what
you're read on the internet is probably true.

That said, Debian is a fine distribution (developed by mostly the same people). You're unlikely to have a problem using it.

--
Stephen M. Webb