Re: GPL revoked

Znoteer wrote on 10/02/2023 08.27:

But the Asian exec might be worried about something else, perhaps
technology export restrictions? I cannot see how that could apply
to FOSS

If the execs come from countries with authoritarian regimes that
don't necessarily enjoy good relations with countries in which the
GLP was developed and is enforceable, the execs may be worried about
their OWN government revoking access to GPL'd software.

I think a few repressive countries have used FLOSS software for internal software, i.e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylin_(operating_system)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

> Red Star OS (Korean: 붉은별; MR: Pulgŭnbyŏl) is a North Korean Linux
> distribution, with development first starting in 1998 at the Korea
> Computer Center (KCC). Prior to its release, computers in North Korea
> typically used Red Hat Linux[6] and later switched to a modified
> Windows XP with North Korean language packs installed.[7]

I suspect Asian execs might be concerned about GPL because they're using GPL libraries and not sharing the source code (something we've seen in the West too), and that could force them to release all the source for their product(s) (theoretically).

My 2¢