Re: Follow up on last night's Twitter / Mastodon talk

  • Subject: Re: Follow up on last night's Twitter / Mastodon talk
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:24:46 -0500
On 2022-11-06 21:04, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
> On 2022-11-04 15:21, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> > > or being more trustworthy.
> >
> > Maybe statistically-so, but certainly no guarantee.
> >
> > > Right now a Twitter verified account (blue Verified badge) has very specific
> > > requirements to obtain which are specific to the class of account:
> > >
> > > https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts
> > >
> > > A monthly payment requirement may get rid of many trolls and bots, which are
> > > certainly a problem on almost every social media.
> >
> > Yes.  It may also get rid of many legitimate users.  Who is to say where
> > this balance lies?
>
> I can't say I trust MSNBC to be unbiased here (see
> https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/msnbc/ ) but here's a perspective that
> supports the idea that identities/trust can be purchased and that the
> value of this purchase may not have been financial...
>
> 	Elon Musk Appears In Over His Head With Purchase Of Twitter
> 	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2GfLxTzt7I

How's this working out?
	Here are some of the 'verified' fake Twitter accounts overtaking the platform
	https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/here-are-some-of-the-verified-fake-twitter-accounts-overtaking-the-platform-1.6150691

> >   slainte mhath, RGB
>
>   slainte mhath, RGB

  slainte mhath, RGB
--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!