Re: Follow up on last night's Twitter / Mastodon talk

  • Subject: Re: Follow up on last night's Twitter / Mastodon talk
  • From: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 14:13:11 -0400
On 2022-11-04 13:50, James wrote:
> Nov. 4, 2022 10:25:49 Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca>:
> > How does paying for the account prove any trustworthiness?
>
> It is only to make money.

That was my assumption, because I don't see the connection between the
two.  But it could also be used as a weeder, hedging that it will result
in a certain distribution of payers and those who care about the status
of that checkmark.

> Isn't the platform losing money?

I'm not saying it isn't but why was it valued so high?  (That's
rhetorical.)  Even if it loses money, it is still likely be quite
valuable to Musk as a tool to facilitate other goals.

  slainte mhath, RGB
--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!