moving main OS partition

Hi,

Recently upgraded my wife's machine from Linux Mint 20.3 to Linux Mint 21.

We decided to use the "install beside" option. This took the 500GB nvme disk and
shrank the LM20.3 partition (leaving GPT partition) to about 300GB, created a
new approx 200GB partition and installed LM21 in the latter.

This has allowed us to simply copy a lot of the config files (e.g., Thunderbird
and Double Commander) and avoid a lot of customization effort. The email was
back right away.

But ... Once we've got all the working files sorted out, we've a 300GB blob more
or less unused. (There is also a 2TB mirrored ZFS volume for files. Mainly
long term files, but only about 30% full.)

Goal: remove the 300GB partition, shift LM21 partition and expand it.

As far as I can understand, simply using gparted via a live USB OS will move
the partition, but leave it unbootable, though running grub2 should restore
things.

Alternatively, it may be smart to use liveUSB OS and image the LM21 e.g., to
the ZFS volume, then clone it back to the 300GB partition. Possibly this
could be done WITHOUT destroying the 200GB partition until it is clear the
copy boots OK. Then destroy the 200GB partition and expand the 300GB one.

Suggestions welcome. Possibly a good meeting topic. There are a number of web
postings, but not too many that suggest a straightforward solution.

John Nash