1) make an image (in Windows) and then 2) shrink partition in Windows. I had to keep about
75GB partition to allow for growth with updates.

Then you can boot with Linux live-USB and use gparted to format the empty space (the installers
often can do this, but I've generally found it pays to make an ext4 first). The install of a
base system on modern laptops is <20 mins and handles UEFI etc.

On your older machine, I doubt you'll need to worry about UEFI. In fact, it is likely a nuisance
to change.

JN

On 2022-02-04 12:13, David Baril (dpbaril [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com) wrote:
Sorry for my late arrival at last night's session and thanks for entertaining my noobie questions... I am still working on my migration plan from Linux Mint 18.3 on my 2014 Dell XPS 8700 with legacy BIOS.  First task is to get my daily work environment ported to a new Mini-PC that I just received from Amazon. I will either wipe the Windows and install with Linux or make it dual boot with both Windows and Linux.  I'd like to migrate the old Dell to UEFI and set up it up properly for multi-boot.

I missed the John Nash's talk on writing tools and look forward to the notes.  In the meantime, here is a link to a copy of the article <https://my.owndrive.com/s/AeG9Mqrw98HKrdD> I mentioned from December's /Linux Magazine,/ on "homebrew" note taking in Linux.  The author recommends a couple of things I already use (Typora and Syncthing) but then goes beyond with some scripting ideas for to-do list management that I have yet to try...