Re: photo download

On 2022-01-08 15:34, Alex Pilon wrote:
> > On 2022-01-08 2:48 p.m., Callie Jones wrote:
> > > I run MInt 20. Is there a way to download camera photos?? I looked at
> > > the Mint Forum site but found nothing more recent than 2017.? At one
> > > time I ran both Windows and Linux and had to transfer photos with
> > > Windows because the camera was compatible only with Windows or Mac.
>
> Unless there's something new to support since then or there's something
> particular to Mint that's broken, it should just work if you install one
> of the packages named similarly to these:
>
> - gphoto2
> - gvfs-gphoto2
> - gvfs-mtp
>
> You should be able to just start gphoto2. I don't see a .desktop file in
> my distro, so it may not have an entry in whatever menu you're using
> either. If you installed one of the gvfs packages, your file browser
> should just pick things up automatically unless your distro does
> something different. Instead of figuring out how to kill your file
> browser and any gvfs user-daemons over email, I'd just log out and back
> in.

I use gphoto2 regularly on the command line.  It also has library
packages that can be used by other programs.

"gphoto2 -L" will give you a listing in a terminal.  You may need to
specifiy which device if it finds more than one, using --port, --camera
or --usbid after identifying it with --auto-detect.  Once you have
gotten there you can download all into the current directory with
"gphoto2 -P" or specify a range of images you want with "gphoto2
-p<start>-<end>" (replacing "start" and "end" with the image numbers
identified in the -L command above).

> That said, I haven't used these in a few years, so the answer above may
> not be perfect.
>
> On Sat 2022-01-08 15:10:56 -0500, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> > Usually I just plug the camera into a USB port and Linux treats it as
> > another drive.
>
> The kernel itself doesn't since it doesn't convert PTP or MTP USB
> endpoints as block devices or filesystems, but if you run a desktop
> environment as I suspect you do, the already installed gvfs-mtp or
> gvfs-gphoto2 do make a FUSE filesystem.

Right.  Depending on your distro, it may show up as something like
/run/media/$userid/$devicename

This all assumes you are plugging your camera in via USB.

You could also pull the card from your camera and either stick it
directly into your computer via a card slot (all 4 laptops here have SD
slots that can be used with microSD with an adaptor) or via a USB media
card adaptor something like this where it will show up as a regular USB
hard drive:
	https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_171&item_id=117241

The easiest way is likely to have the gvfs extensions installed so that
the camera will simply show up in your favourite file browser
automounted when you plug in the camera with a USB cable.

  slainte mhath, RGB
--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@      @        Ride yer bike!