Using model-router as router

I've been using a Linksys WRT54GL since about 2005 as my router behind a
modem-router. The setup currently uses a Smart/RG modem router on
192.168.1.1 and the Linksys as 192.168.9.1. The latter network is
for my wife and I, our Synology workstation and printer. The Smart/RG
connections are used for machines outside our private little world.

Updating the Synology system today popped up a msg that the network
was only 10/100 "please get a gigabit router".

Probably this is a good idea. They're not expensive, but I'm wondering if
a spare modem-router I have, a TP-Link TD-W9970, could be used as a
router. I only use 3 of the outputs of the Linksys, so there's enough
physical sockets.

I'd like to keep the current logical setup, but suspect I may have to
simply bridge ethernet connections to use the TP-Link.

Any suggestions from the LO community? I prefer to have equipment
used rather than sitting on the shelf, but it could be the cost of
a new router (< $100 for wifi and 4 ports) is a whole lot less
trouble.

Best,

John Nash