Re: Better understanding of new machine issues

  • Subject: Re: Better understanding of new machine issues
  • From: nashjc-ncf <nashjc [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:33:52 -0400
Actually memory test was on my agenda. However,have discovered that the network adapter
is NOT supported until 5.8 kernel, and the LTS versions of Ubuntu and Mint are
still at 5.4. A test on a newer, non-LTS version of Ubuntu using a live-USB ran
the printer fine. I'm still running LTS Mint (20.1) but with a USB-ethernet that
is supported. Boot issues with most live-USBs seem to need legacy mode in the BIOS
to overcome. I've not fully explored that. It could be something in the BIOS (i.e.,
a change), a timing issue in the USB ports, or some quirkiness of how the USB flash
drive is set up in h/w or s/w or image transfer. However, sometimes once things are
working "enough" one has to put the remaining matters on back burner.

And about 25 years ago, I had a new machine with bad memory. It took a while before
we ran a test. Sigh.

Best, JN