Re: anyone using a privacy-protecting cell phone

  • Subject: Re: anyone using a privacy-protecting cell phone
  • From: Mail <mail [ at ] 0744 [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:32:55 -0500
I've been lurking here for awhile and have no idea how to use the
mailing list so please excuse me if I've made a mistake.

On 2021-01-22 1:15 p.m., Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> Hello Linux hive-mind -
>
> A non-tech friend is trying to get out from under Apple and set up her
> cell phone and computers without Microsoft, Google, or Apple looking
> over her shoulder.  She is concerned about tracking and privacy.
>
> I can give her help with her future Linux desktop, but I don't even
> own a cell phone so I can't advise on "Linux" cell phones (or any kind
> of cell phones).
>
> Anyone out there in Linux-land with experience they are willing to share
> using a cell phone with good privacy that doesn't track you?

I own 3 PinePhones now.... https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/ They're a
good cheap Linux phone that has nothing to do with Apple or Google.
However, they're not ready for non-tech users and can be considered
"beta". They just recently got the phone to sleep correctly giving you
more than 2 hours of battery time. On top of this, things like MMSes
dont work out of the box, browsing the web is quite clunky. I am hopeful
for their future so maybe keep an eye on them?

I also use a Google Pixel3 with GrapheneOS. https://grapheneos.org/ but
any android device that supports an ASOP rom (For example LineageOS
without gapps) should be pretty dependable.

If you do go with the Pixel devices you have to get it directly from
google, which may not be ideal. The ones from carriers (telus, rogers,
etc) are locked so you cant install other roms.

Cheers,
Andrew