Re: rsync snapshot backup

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, CL Junk wrote:

It now appears that the backups are no longer sharing hard links, making them use much more space. I have now filled 4TBs with backups in weeks, when it would typically take a year to fill 1TB prior to my upgrades.

I don't have an answer to your primary question right away - without RTFMing, your options look familiarly correct.

But before I forget, I wanted to mention the utility "hardlink". You can use it to search for and relink your identical files to reclaim your space.

Be aware that it took a loooong time to run (like overnight or a day for a large set of files), at least when I used it over a year ago. But it has
worked for me to solve the same problem..

You might also want to check out rsnapshot, a script which does
hard linked, versioned backups.

Brett